Thursday, May 31, 2007

Speed Cut Not!

I've said this many times in forums and I'll say it again. The N16 be it 1.6/1.8, Pre-FL, FL1 or FL2 does not come with a 160km/h (could be 170km/h depending on which joker you choose to believe) speed cut. There is a rev cut to prevent overenthuasiastic raging hormone youngsters from revving the poor engine to death due to high rpm valve float and the eventual piston to valve contact but no Speed Cut! I have reviewed the N16's service manual and the very detailed 702 paged Engine Control System (EC) section does not mention any speed cut. I have also to-date twice personally taken the Slowtra to speeds in excess on 180km/h and have spoken of my findings yet people still choose to believe in urband legends. Maybe they think they're driving some pseudo Sylvia or God forbid Skyline supercar wannabee with an engine just waiting to be unlocked and unleashed with just a simple speed cut device or wiring tapping. And NO that device behind your glovebox is not the damn speed cut. That device is only responsible for activating your door locks at a certain speed.

Obviously there is a trick to doing a top speed run. The trick here is to max out 4th gear as much as possible before you hit 5th. If you're driving a slushbox too bad :P For those with manual gearboxes don't expect to hit top speed real soon if you shift to 5th gear around 90-100km/h and mash the throttle pedal to the metal. I don't call my car the Slowtra for nothing...

11 comments:

Jerry said...

thats y u have to increase power to weight! cf hood and buckets! the you will also get better fuel economy!

llsaw said...

No thanks. I value my comfort. As I've said previously I'm not building an all out performance/race/track car.

Anonymous said...

AhSaw,
nabeh, look my slushbox no up ar!

I hit 200km/h on my slowtra ok!.

haha...GOOD WRITE! They never geddit donch they..

llsaw said...

Bro Fooyc,

I also look my manual no up lah. Like what u say.. "The N16 puff no fire" :P

Anonymous said...

PUFF NO FIRE wan!..

tapi no-1 wanna belip me..nabeh..

llsaw said...

Nevermind. Let's go the "All Show No Go" route. Kakakaka :P I appreciate the creature comforts offered by the N16 too much to sacrifice that for the sake of more performance. The car wasn't build for that purpose.

Jerry said...

man...

llsaw said...

:P One day when you're at a more advanced age and with a family of your own you'll understand...

Jerry said...

ill force my kids to ride in the boot of my s2000. hell yeah. haha.

Jerry said...

start calling children's aid now. haahaha

Jack said...

Fooh, slowtra sure faster than my ride.. mine tops at 180. Everythis is quiet and serene at that speed.. Ahhhhh