Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pissed and Disappointed

Some of you might be wondering why there's no post on my finished carbon rear spoiler. Well I've been too busy with work and my new home to follow up on the progress and it actually took a couple of weeks before the spoiler got installed. When I came home from work to view the installed article I nearly got a heart attack. Pix below.


Can't believe this is the same Bro and family friend responsible for all the trick cf parts on the SP. Excuse apparently was no compressor. As you can see the clearcoating is too thick and there are major blotches once the sun heats it up. Looks more like the surface of the moon! Also looks like the person that did this was trying to take shortcuts in fixing the pinholes. There was also too much black paint on the affected area. Sure signs of a cover up if you asked me. Another pix below.

I have requested the Bro to either fix this or make me another spoiler but it looks like he's now giving me the round the mulberry bush excuses. You know who you are! The spoiler has since been removed from my car and leaving two drilled holes which I have to cover with tape. Dammit! Even my painter refused to fix this for me asking me to go get a new one made. Was work on-call last week and spend some of my "house arrest" time sanding the spoiler with 240 grit sand paper. Sanded till my forearms ache and things looked a bit better. Will continue sanding but honestly I'm so pissed and ashamed that I've given up hope on this spoiler. This will be the last time I'm getting any carbon parts from the "Bro".

Sorrow and frustration led me to research a proper aftermarket carbon spoiler/wing for the Slowtra and the Mine's Multi Select Carbon Rear Wing caught my eye. Pix (courtesy of Turbo magazine) below of said spoiler fitted to Mine's 350Z project car.


Another pix

It's still wet lay-up carbon though. This spoiler also looks suspiciously like a rip-off from a AC Schnitzer E46 Beemer wing. Not that I care so long as it looks good on the Slowtra. I've been in communication with Mine's Japan and also my Jap contact. Only thing preventing me from getting the spoiler so far is the massive cost. All RM3K+ of it. Will see how things develop before I make a decision...

17 comments:

Jerry said...

sry to hear about ur spoiler. get a wing. looks damn trick and racer. and fab a diffuser ala mike kojima!

Jack said...

Ouch! looks horrible man.. I can even see the ripples on the clearcoat and the black spray paint on your low resolution pics.

Sorry for the cold-bath but hope your elbow grease works!

llsaw said...

Bro,

What do u think of the Mines Multi Select Rear Wing? Worth gettin?

Jack said...

HehHehheh... >_<

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2443

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nismoxi/nmo-rearspoilerSER.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nismoxi/Picture056.jpg

Jerry said...

wah nice spoiler. jack poison!

llsaw said...

I'm well aware of the Nismo spoiler but not interested as it costs a bomb and is not cf. Will most prob'l be ordering the Mine's spoiler.

Jerry said...

go for the mines!!

llsaw said...

Thank You :) Already ordered!

Jerry said...

woosh! how long will it take to reach?

llsaw said...

Needs to 2-3 weeks to manufacture. Apparently Mine's doesn't have any stock. Shld take bout 3-4 days to arrive from Japan and possibly longer if kena tahan by Customs.

Jerry said...

waiting in anticopation!

since ur going semi-hardcore now, wouldnt a pair of reclinable buckets suit your car's image? with the cf wing and etc... =)

llsaw said...

Nope. I'm comfortable with the stock seats. Mine's wing will be sent on June 1st btw :P

llsaw said...

BTW.. The Slowtra's hardcore wat? As fas as it's ICE system is concerned :P

Jerry said...

performance wise! u hafta roll in style wad! with so much ICE, u need more grunt/less weight as much as possible! some ultra light cf brides should do the trick!
hehe

llsaw said...

Sorry.. I'm not into performance wise all that much ;) Have already proven what I can prove with the SP. End of the day & Bottom line performance = money.

llsaw said...

The Mine's wing is shipping from Japan tomorrow (June 1st). Fooyoh!!!!

Jerry said...

woo!