Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tyre (Replacement) Time

At anything over half throttle on second gear the Shark will wheelspin at will. The ECU is tightly reigning in boost in first else first the Shark will just be limited to 4 usable gears (2nd to 5th). The problem here are my aging Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tyres. Remember this sat unused for more than 9 months during the build. The rubber in your tyres degrade, hardened and loses grip with age due to a process know as vulcanisation. Also please don't forget the Shark makes 3+ times more power than the Slowtra.

With this in mind I decided on Extreme Performance tyres which offer the ultimate dry road grip and holding ability but at the expense of more wear due to the softer grippier rubber compound, increased road noise and less wet weather performance. Such tyres typically combine big-block tread designs with aggressive tread compounds and reinforced internal constructions to emphasise dry road response, traction, handling and high speed capabilities for serious driving enthusiasts and are the limit to what a sane driver would use on a road for daily driving. Extreme Performance tyres are one rung up on the Max Performance tyre category which the Sport Maxx TT and other similar class tyres (e.g. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and Goodyear Asymmetric 2) belongs. I guess so long as you don't do a touge or max speed run during Penang/Bolehland's typical torrential downpours you should be ok. I say that with experience having used the AD07 on the SP. The accelerated wear however would be a problem in regards to the $ in your pocket so can't afford a tyre that is too expensive. Most Extreme Performance tyres have a UTQG thread-wear rating between 140-180. This is much less than the 220-280 tread-wear rating of Max Performance tyres. Such tyres typically last between 15K to 25K km max. Also with me being in Penang, the options available would be a big big problem. My options would be very limited and consists of:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. The cost of the tyre is astronomical @ Malaysian Ringgit 1200 per piece for a 215-45 17". Yes, per piece. This means a set of 4 will cost RM 4800 for tyres lasting less than 25K km. Sorry but I don't print money. UTQG is 180 AA. The RE-11 has also been replaced by the recently launched RE-11A. I don't even want to know how much these cost.

Hankook Ventus R-S3 Z222. Not brought in by MY Hankook distributor so one would have to source from local speedshops like Pentagon Racing. Also not available in the size I want with closest being 225-45 17". To fit such a tyre would require a 10mm spacer as I am already hitting the inner wheel arch at max lock with a 215mm wide tyre. A 10mm spacer also means I would need to buy an extended lug. Since I am on a tight budget (need to la with the Shark's build exceeding my original budget two fold) these are probably my last option if nothing else is avail. Oh, and my dash will also need to be re-calibrated for 225-45 17" due to the larger rolling diameter. UTQG is 140 AA. Cost should be in the RM 600++ range assuming I can find the size I want. Flames on the thread are capable of reducing your track/drag times and increasing your top speed :)

Federal 595RS-R. I talked about this previously. Heard these are about to be replaced soon. Am apprehensive on this tyre due to the much talked thread surface crack/split problem. Google the problem if you want to find out more.

Toyo Proxes R1R. Price ranging from RM 520 to RM580+ so shop around. These tyres have been in the market for around quite some time. Thread-wear is your typical 140 AA. Interestingly the R1R tires are engineered to elevate performance in dry and wet conditions. Some people use these as track wet weather tyres. Compound is apparently super soft but these are the cheapest extreme performance tyres I can find locally.

Advan Neova AD08. This was initially my number one choice but the price has increased massively compared to the previous gen AD07. I was quoted RM800 per tyre after discount by YHI SA. Also very difficult to find locally and will need to wait 1-2 months. UTQG thread-wear is 180 AA which like the Bridgestone is what most Japs usually state for their Extreme Performance tyres. Recently found out that these are supposed to be replaced by the just launched (in early March) AD08R which is why there is no stock for the AD08.

Kumho Ecsta XS KU36. Gave up trying to find this in Penang. UTQG is competitive with its competitors at 180 AA.

Grassroots Motorsport mag did an excellent comparison review of these tyres. You can read it up more here:

I've made my decision and ordered the Toyo Proxes R1R. It's comparatively "reasonably priced" for me to be able to test and see. Stay tuned. 

25 comments:

Soon said...

R1R has awesome cornering grip. I do have some reservation on wet grip but it is still safe to travel 110kmh on NSE highway. 595 RSR has slightly worse wet grip.

Both tyres are stone chipping. Cars following behind will in pain when we accelerating hard.

llsaw said...

Oops!

Soon said...

I had R1R for about 4k mileage and still on my car. I bought it at RM620 225/45/17.

If you have extended budget, go for RE11. That is really all rounder tyres. Matching R1R dry capability and yet much better wet grip and also low noise (like Asymmetric 2). You listed RM1.2k is about right if you buying in Msia. In Singapore, you can get it about RM900 per pc.

llsaw said...

The RE-11A is already out Bro. Likewise the AD08R.

llsaw said...

BTW how's the threadwear after 4K? How long do you reckon the R1R will last?

Soon said...

Bro, so far so good. Done 2 times PG-KL, runs and mostly driving around PG Island. My car is turbo-charged as well. Holding well. I guess you don't mind the noisy part of the tires.

llsaw said...

Good to know a boosted fellow Penang Kia. What car do you drive Bro?

Soon said...

Mazda3 MPS. I met you once before long time ago when you still had SP with you. That's awesome ride.

Let's meet up and talk about turbo snail. :)

Conrod said...

Soon, Are you driving a red Mazda3 MPs with goldem rims ?

Soon said...

Yeah. Conrod, you spotted me before?

llsaw said...

No wonder your nick/name sounds familiar. Yeah, we should meet up. When u free? I'm staying in the mainland nowadays though.

Conrod said...

Soon, yeah, it is rather easy to spot a red sports car with golden rims, we should meet up then

llsaw said...

When would be a good time to meet up gentlemen? BTW I can be reached @ 012-4990807

Soon said...

I can be reached at 012-6636652. Let's Whatapps. I'm OK to have TT on weekdays or weekends.

Andrew, are you still working in island or mainland?

llsaw said...

Working on the island Bro.

Conrod said...

Andrew, pick a time and venue, we can go from there. Sorry guys, I'm very old school, having very old phone, not able to whatsapp. SMS can work, number: 012-4750807

llsaw said...

Let me get the ball rolling? Any preference? Weekday or weekend? I suggest e-Gate.

Conrod said...

Weekday or weekend is fine with me, just need to know in advance to plan.

llsaw said...

How about this Sunday morning? 10am?

Conrod said...

Sunday 10am at e-gate should be ok.

Soon said...

Hey! On! See you on Sunday.

llsaw said...

See you lot on Sunday. I'll be @ Starbucks. Other petrolheads are also welcome!

llsaw said...

Guys,

So sorry but I will need to push our meet up to next week Sat. Will this work?

Conrod said...

Sure, no prob, the new date is 20 April ?

llsaw said...

Next Sunday (April 21st) works for me. Sorry guys. Wife going to US on work assigment next weekend so want me to accompany her for shopping/facial.