Friday, February 2, 2007

Brake Data

If anyone's looking to upgrade their brakes properly this data should be helpful. The N16 1.6 runs a single piston sliding front caliper. Front caliper piston diameter is 57.2mm. Rear caliper piston diameter is 33.9mm for ABS model and 17.46 for non-ABS (not sold by TCM in Malaysia)

Front disc rotor sizing is 257mm X 22mm Rear disc rotor sizing is 258 X 9mm or Rear drum 203.2mm inner diameter. My Bro Fooyc confirmed that the 1.8 XG-L runs similarly sized brakes as the 1.6. Master cylinder sizing is 15/16" or 23.81mm This compares very favourably to a Proton 1.6/1.8 which runs a 256mm X 24mm front and 260 X 10mm rear with same Master cylinder sizing is same. This data should be helpful if you're thinking of upgrading your brakes to 4-6-8-10 piston calipers. So long as you do not deviate 5-10% from the total piston surface area your master cylinder should be able to handle. The formula for piston area is Radius X Pi Squared if you need help on the calculations. This is gives a total piston area of 5139 square mm for the front calipers. Per theory, a sliding single piston caliper is always calculated as a twin piston.

I would suggest a caliper that does not have more than 5600 square mm surface area else the master cylinder would need to be upgraded to a larger diameter unless you have a fetish for dangerously long brake pedal travel. Leave the rear caliper alone. A FF car uses up 70-80% of it's front brakes leaving only the miniscule remainder to it's rears. Having said that I'm still gonna upgrade my crummy rear drums to discs. Looks loads better too.

I've researched and there's actually a few options out there in the US for the front big brake upgrades. This includes a Wilwood kit from Fastbrakes.com, Brembo stock B15 Spec V setup from G Spec Performance, humongous Brembo GT aftermarket setups (at least a 17" wheel is required) and Stoptech. All the mention supply aluminium 4 piston calipers with single piece or composite rotors, brake hoses and brackets to mount everything to the N16/B15's hub. Don't recommend the popular NX2000 AD22VF upgrade as the rotor is the same diameter. Only slightly thicker (26mm). DBA however does have a 4000 series application for that particular disc/rotor but none for our stockers. Bummer! More details in Mike Kojima's Garage

Before you do all this do ensure your tyres are grippy enough. It's the tyres that actually stop the car and not the brakes. If the tyres lose grip even a buzzillion pot caliper will not save you.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew,

Speaking about brakes, do u have any idea what brand of brake pads (stock) are we using in our N16? What brake pads are u using? Any recommendation?

Thanks.

Danny

llsaw said...

No idea on the stock brake pads. Prob'l one of the oem Jap manufacturers such as Nissin, Akebono, etc. I'm on stock pads. Planning to prob'l upgrade to Wilwood bbk soon.

Mohamed said...

Hi Andrew
I got rear beam with disk break put I want to know the calipers part number and where it come from (wich model) to know what break bad I need thanks a lot

llsaw said...

Caliper is from a N16 Sentra.

Mohamed said...

I know that is from n16 but how I know the calipers part number and which n16 model it came from

llsaw said...

All MYDM N16 use the same rear caliper. Check with TCEAS the part number

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew, I m from KL and i m the owner of a Nissan N16 Sentra 1.8 XGL(year 2005). I have dismantle the rear caliper and i m now looking for the piston. Do you have any idea where can i get that?

llsaw said...

Hi Eunice, you can get the piston frm TCEAS.

Unknown said...

Ok, thank you very much Andrew for the prompt reply. TCEAS will be too costly lol... sigh.... Went to few 'potong kereta' shop but couldnt get it. Most of them have the front caliper(costing around rm150) but they dont have the rear caliper :(

llsaw said...

BTW, why would u need a rear piston? Most people just replace the seals. I am not sure if I still have my old rear caliper somewhere.

Unknown said...

Fyi, just called up TCEAS and was quoted rm485 fro the piston alone (faint) lol

Unknown said...

Already dismantled the rear caliper and bought the repair kit, but however, the piston are 'rusted' and have scratch marks. My foreman advised me to changed it

Unknown said...

My foreman manage to find a used rear caliper actually, but since he knows it's difficult to get one outside, he slaughtered me with a price tag of rm400, which normally cost only rm150.

I definitely wont give in to such irresonsible business ethic and worse come to worst, i will juz ask him to fit back my original piston and leave it to continue leaking oil. Oh btw, my car was still stranded in the workshop since last friday juz becoz of this rear caliper lol

llsaw said...

Try a spare parts shop. You might get the parts cheaper but probably not by much if it is a Japan part. You can also try my contact Nicholas if you are in the Klang valley. His number is 012-2808770. He used to supply me Nissan parts but I am not sure if he is still doing.

FYI, TCEAS quoted me >1K for one rear caliper so I am not surprise.

llsaw said...

With your situation (your car stranded in workshop) it is not possible to get the parts for you from my suppliers in Japan or US as that usually takes a couple weeks lead time.

llsaw said...

I will check later tonight if I still have my old caliper. The handbrake mechanism is build into the old caliper but that is broken which is why I replaced the entire caliper. The piston is still in perfect functioning condition though so if u get my caliper you will have to ask your foreman to disassemble it and use the piston.

Unknown said...

Thanks andrew fro the help. I just called up Nicholas and he is no longer dealing in spare parts but he will help me ask around. (finger crossed) hihi ....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

juz to update you, Nicholas told me he can only find original piston, wuoted me at rm400. My last option will be fabricating a new piston lol

llsaw said...

Sorry. I couldn't find the rear caliper anywhere.

Unknown said...

Ok andrew, my last hope is gone also lol... and so is the fabrication job!! The guy told me it's difficult to get a Fabrication Shop that can make that piston.

Andrew, you think i can use back my old rusted piston?? The rusted area is about the size of a 10 cent coin.

sigh....

llsaw said...

If it was me I would get a new piston or a new caliper but this is me :)

Unknown said...

Ok bro... i will get the new piston then. No choice. I wouldnt wanna buy the used caliper from Foreman though hihi

Thanks alot Andrew for all the help. Appreciate that :D